13 August 2007

Too Darn Hot!!!

Arg! It's so stinkin hot these days! We have not been outside to play in days and my kids are making me crazy! They really like to play with the neighbor boy across the street at least every couple of days, preferably every day, but it's been about a week since we saw him last. The doorbell rang a little after 9pm and it was Drew and his dad wanting to know if the kids could come out to play. We don't usually play in the dark, but they were so excited (and it was finally a temperature that wouldn't completely melt me) so we grabbed the chairs and bikes and headed outside. We were out until about 10:45 and the kids had a blast!

Drew is going to be a big brother in a couple of months and they had a meeting with a potential midwife this afternoon. It was very interesting to see how that shaped Becca and Drew playing tonight. They like to play "driving"- Drew has a little wood easel thing with a steering wheel on it and they both slide their legs under it and go driving. Funny enough Drew always drives, but he always sits on the right side of Becca. We thought they were acting like British teenagers, but we found out that they were headed to the midwife because Becca was having a baby. Turns out she had twins, they named theme Boyie and Girlie. About 5 minutes later she was having another baby so they had to go back to the midwife. After that baby they decided their family was complete and Becca went back to work as a doctor. For about a year now the response to the question "what do you want to be when you grow up?" has regularly been doctor, specifically the type that deals with children. It will be interesting to see if she follows that path when she does actually grow up. However, after talking to my friend Kelle who's son is premed at Dartmouth starting next month, I am not sure that is a career path that I wish to finance! :)

We spent the day finishing the detail cleaning in Cameron's room. We culled his bookcase, cleaned out his dresser, and totally cleaned out his closet. It is nice to have everything organized, but I still need to go in and alphabetize his books on the bookshelf. I know there is going to be more homework this year, and I want him to have a nice clean place to get it done away from his nosy little sister. The next project we will do in there is to bring his room up to "big boy" speed. He is no longer interested in the train wallpaper border that I painstakingly picked out for him before he was born- now he wants red walls (I agreed to *1* red wall) and black trim. (I did not agree to that!) So I am going to paint one of his walls red and the rest grey, and his bedding is a black/grey combination. We are going to replace his current dresser with a black one and his drum set is black, so I think he will be good to go. We seem to be hitting the teen years a little too soon for my taste, but at least I won't have to redo his room again.

We are starting to switch to our fall schedule this week. We have changed gymnastics days and we will switch our skating schedule next week as we are not skating at all this week. Then we are going full speed to prepare for Becca's first competition toward the end of September. Required hockey practice doesn't start for a few more weeks yet, but we are still practicing. I am working the PTA booth at back to school night Tuesday and David and Cameron are going to the baseball game tomorrow night. Just another regular week at our house.

I hear the ding of my washer telling me that the last load of the day is done. I think I will throw those clothes in the dryer and head to bed.

No comments: